I enjoy harvesting fabric from previously made clothing.
|Papa's denim chambray shirt.|
This fabric is soft and flowing and I started thinking about how I could use it to make this months sewing challenge at Project Run and Play in conjunction with this darling red robin fabric.
Why did I choose to use topstitched box pleats instead of gathers?
The choice to use pleats solved a problem. When I removed the pocket from the shirt front, the fabric under the pocket was darker in color. I needed every bit of the original fabric to make the finished dress, so I hid the darker pocket shaped spot inside the box pleat.
In addition to using this cheerful bird fabric, I top-stitched the dress in red and added red buttons to create a color scheme of denim blue and red.
|Back of Dress|
During the design phase of planning this dress, I decided to use the front button placket down the back of the skirt on the dress. The placket is sewn shut and merely ornamental . You can see that I used the entire width around the men's shirt to create the skirt, and the original side seams remain.
The front of the dress uses the cuffs of the shirt and a trimmed width collar from the original shirt. I just love
the little red ball buttons that I added to highlight these features.
Three evenly spaced box pleats
are used on the front skirt too.
Accessories- Hair and Necklace.