Pages

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Anne of Green Gables Inspired Girls Outfit

When the costume designer for Anne of Green Gables, Martha Mann, created her costumes for the movie,  many were original pieces, constructed specifically for this film. Mann was faithful to Victorian styles, right down to the petticoats, furbelows, corsets and more.

My design reflects an outfit in colors and fabrics that Anne would love to wear, but updated for 2014.  It features a woven chambray fabric in light grey for the skirt and a white cotton knit for the long sleeve shirt. Since the fashions of Anne's time featured lace, ruffles, and feminine trims, so does mine.
Costume Design by Martha Mann

My ideas all came together when I found this silhouette created  by Miriam on her blog, Be Book Bound. She made it to create a piece of art, but I saw a new purpose that would create an unique outfit for Miss E.   Miriam invited her blog readers to use the silhouette that she created in Photoshop, and that's just what I did.


I began by bringing the jpg to Powerpoint so I could size it to fit the design idea that was floating in my head. I planned to print it, using a Avery T-Shirt Transfer Sheet,  on  the shirt in my design. 
Avery Light T-Shirt TransferI printed the design in grey-tone as I wanted a color that would blend with the light grey chambray that I had purchased for the skirt. I didn't just turn the design over and iron it on the shirt fabric, but I trimmed away the silhouette from the surrounding design so the edges would be cleaner. I love how it turned out!

Silhouette Shirt


I added a wide bow at the neckline that drips with lace and a trim that is feminine and old-fashioned at the same time.

For those beginner sewers, I wanted to let you know that I did not make the basic shirt. I was in Gymboree, because I love the quality of their knits, and purchased it for only $4.99 since it was part of a special sale. Since I can't buy that quality of fabric for $4.99, I decided to purchase it and embellish it with a matching bow and the silhouette. So if your just starting to sew, consider this as an option.


Layered Skirt

Next, the skirt features multiple layers of chambray cotton fabric with an elastic waistband.  Some of the layers are edged in an old-fashioned woven floral trim.  This trim really added body to the different layers and helped to create the feminine feel to the skirt.
Miss E especially liked the light, swirly, and comfortable skirt.


Since it is winter here in the Midwest, lavender tights were added to pick up the lavender color in the trim.

Wide-Brimmed Hat

I am really getting brave.  On my last outfit, I created a 6 panel knit hat to coordinate with the knit dress I designed.

This time I made this wide-brimmed hat out of the same grey chambray fabric. It was magical the way the heavy pellon interfacing began to bow and shape as I sewed the multiple rows of stitching in the wide brim.

I wasn't even sure that the multiple rows of stitching would create the shaped structure on the brim, but that's what I've seen on hats in stores....so I gave it a try.  WOW, was I ever happy. I hand stitched the black trim on the edges during the final step while making this hat.
To complete the old fashioned look, I added matching trim and a bow in the back.

Folks you are looking at pure magic, as I can't believe I actually designed the pattern and sewed this hat. 




At first, I considered buying Miss E some lace up boots similar to those worn by Anne. Yet, I designed this outfit to be an UPDATED version, so black patent shoes with a tiny wedge heel
 (so 2014!) were chosen.



So, here is my 2014 version of a garment that was inspired by the movie, Anne of Green Gables, modeled by Miss E :














 
Smiles,
Deborah



14 comments:

  1. Creative! The silhouette on the shirt, hat details and that skirt are really great Deborah!
    http://xoxograndma.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joy,
      I'm so happy with the way the whole outfit came together. The hat was a miracle!
      Deborah

      Delete
  2. So beautiful! I love the stenciled picture and the color of the skirt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magda,
      I chose that fabric for the skirt based on what Victorian children were wearing during the time period of Anne of Green Gables. It certainly does swirl great. Thanks for your comments.
      Deborah

      Delete
  3. I ADORE Anne of Green Gables! This outfit is so cute! I love the skirt! So fun! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever read some of the quotes from Anne, you would see she is a very positive young lady that appreciates love and life. That's why I like the character in this movie and book. I'm happy that you loved the skirt as that was my favorite part too.
      Deborah

      Delete
  4. Very innovative idea and beautiful and wearable clothes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I first started sewing clothes that I like for my granddaughters. NOW, I sew clothes they like and that are very comfortable. I've learned that beautiful dresses that sit in the closet and a waste of time and money. I'm glad that you liked my idea.
      Deborah

      Delete
  5. My favourite book series growing up!! I've always wanted to visit PEI to see where Ann grew up. Lovely outfit! The hat is killer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This contest certainly pushes us try new things.... Like sew a hat, or a jacket with red piping and buttonholes.
    Deborah

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely outfit and it lloks perfect on yur beautiful daughter! I adore that ruffly skirt and the hat. Perfection! Pinning!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is really well done. Creative and classy while still being cute! I saw it on Sew Many Books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SO cute!! this was one of my favorite books/movies when i was younger... I love it!! still do! thanks for linking up to the sew many books sew a long. Emily

    ReplyDelete
  10. This outfit is so lovely, i especially love the skirt. Your model is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...