Pages

Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Fringed Polartec Vest Tutorial

 When I was cutting out this fun fringed vest, I had unfolded the fabric to cut out the vest on a single layer of fabric. Suddenly, I realized that I didn't know which side was the right side of the fabric.
  Here is a quick test to help yourself decide
 which side is the right side:

Fleece fabrics curl to the right side when pulled along the selvage edges and curl to the wrong side when stretched on the crossgrain.

Some fleece fabrics also repel water because they are made from 100% polyester fibers and fleece pile fabrics are made from a blend of polyester and acrylic fibers. Since these fibers are hydrophobic , meaning that they retain very little water, they are great for outerwear.
To test for water repellency, just pour water on both sides of the fleece. If it beads up better on one side than the other, I would use that side as my right side when cutting out a water resistant jacket, for example. 

The fleece used in this vest was a medium weight and double sided, which means it was fuzzy on both sides. 




When I cut this vest out I lengthened it so the fringe would extend past her hips. Notice on the picture that I used the curve from the original vest pattern, and designed the back of the vest to be longer at the center back.
   On the side and shoulder seams, I gently finger pressed the seam open and then top-stitched on both sides of the seam. NEVER place an iron directly on the fabric. Since the fibers in the fleece are polyester and acrylic, the loft of the fabric will flatten by the heat and you can't change that.... it won't puff back up when the fabric cools.
   When cutting my fringe, I measured the desired fringe length and placed a row of pins in the fabric to indicate where to stop cutting the fringe.



 Then I used a see-through ruler and rotary cutter to cut my fringe to the desired width.
 It was so easy using the rotary cutter. 

Smiles,
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...