French Pups Short Set
Using the free pattern shown on the left, Summer Chevrons Shirt by The Crafty Cupboard, this is my second submission to the May Challenge at Project Run and Play.
I love the creative freedom of playing around with a pattern more than one time.Some of the changes that I made to the design were:
1) On the first top, I added a bit more length above the waistline elastic to give it more ease and poof. I also wanted the elastic to fall in the polka dotted area of the material so the lines of stitching would be more invisible.
2) Sleeveless instead of the flutter sleeves. By the way, my sensitive skin granddaughter did not like the first sewing of the sleeve area with it's double fold bias tape finish...it was too "itchy." So I took it apart and used a satin bias tape that lays flat on the inside of the garment. That smooth surface made it "un-itchy" for her.
3) Knit iron-on interfacing in the back slit opening was added for extra stability.
4) I love the Michael Miller fabric, "French Pups."
5) I made a second top from a women's extra large knit shirt that I found at a neighborhood garage sale. It looked brand new, and I couldn't wait to recycle it. I cut it apart and used the Summer Chevron Pattern to cut out the shirt front. Then I cut out the shirt back with a higher neckline . I also placed the fold on the third stripe to allow extra fabric at the center back, which I sewed into a box pleat. Lastly, I cut the hemline shorter in the front and much longer in the back.
6) I added patch pockets to the back of the shorts. Here is a tutorial on making the patch pockets from Miss E and Me.
7) The shorts have 1 inch wide elastic in the waistband. Notice the added panel to the front of the shorts.
Deborah and my girls