Pages

Friday, March 14, 2014

Built-in Bookcase and Windowseat, Part 2





 This built-in bookcase/windowseat will be constructed from a variety of resources-MDF, poplar, Ready-Made China Cabinet, pine molding, plywood, and  poplar molding.  It really doesn't matter as it all will be primed and painted to match the existing woodwork in my house.


 
 
 

So in Part 1,  I told you that we rough cut the MDF into approximate size and I primed the boards on both sides.








This is the china cabinet that I purchased off of Craigslist, and I removed all the glass inserts, hardware, doors, and the one wooden shelf in the center of the cabinet. We also had to remove the existing molding-chair rail, baseboard and crown molding that was all ready there.

The cabinet looks just "okay" in this space, but we are going to build a cabinet underneath it.





Notice that I had to avoid the electrical outlet on the wall. I would have cut away the carpet, but my husband vetoed that idea. I decided it was okay to leave the carpet there because the windowseat will be open and you will see the carpet in that location.  We screwed both cabinets to studs in the wall.






 Here is how the base cabinet turned out after it was fancied up with molding trim, and a cut arch out of a primed poplar board.  The window seat will have matching arches. 

Do you like it?  I sure do. Just image how beautiful it will be once it is caulked and painted.

Smiles,
Deborah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...